- 5 ounces Amaretto (such as DiSaronno)
- 1 pint Talenti Vanilla Caramel Swirl gelato
- 1 or 2 Amaretti cookies for garnish (we recommend Lazzaroni cookies)
This recipe is inspired by our neighbor Sherry, who shared with her great idea for a grownup milkshake made from ice cream and amaretto. We love the idea of a dessert cocktail, so we decided to put together a yummy recipe – with a touch of Italian Cowboy, of course – and name it after Sherry. After a bit of tinkering with the ingredients and ratio, it’s clear that Sherry is not only a wonderful neighbor, but a wealth of great ideas in the kitchen, too!
The preparation is really straightforward – put the amaretto in a blender, followed by the gelato. Put on the lid to the blender and pulse several times until well mixed. Pour into a pint glass and garnish with crumbled amaretti cookies. For a more elegant touch, serve in a wine glass with a whole cookie.
A couple of hints:
- We recommend Talenti gelato because it has a small amount of overrun (air mixed in) and so produces a thicker shake. If you can’t find it, substitute a dense ultrapremium or premium ice cream.
- Blend the shake as little as necessary to mix in the amaretto. The longer you mix, the more the heat of the blender will melt the shake.